Reconditioning wheels

Hello All

The aluminum wheels on my 92 XLT (69,000 miles) are getting a bit funky. The clear coat is coming off in some places due to age and mishandling by tire mounters. Some scraps and chips. Can these be redone? Anyone try this either personally or through a shop? Is it hard to do or, if pro, expensive? How can I find out who does this kind of work? Is it cheaper to simply replace the rims?

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

Steve G

Aircraft stripper should remove the clear coat without damaging the aluminum. Polishing is a dirty, tedious job. DIY kits are available:

.

A new clear finish is a job for a professional. Automotive clear coats use toxic catalysts and should not be sprayed without protective gear. Clear laquers are safer to use put aren't as durable.

Reply to
Bob Kegel

I did several wheels:

Especially Chevrolet cavalier, Camaro and Mustang wheels. What I've had good luck with is: Kleen Strip Paint remover, the grade below Air Craft remover. No etching to the aluminum at all. I used to use Martin Senour Tec Prime Clear.

But now that PPG makes K93, which can be used as a primer or a sealer, depending on which hardener you use. I've had much better luck with that.

I make the designs in the wheel match the car color, and get some scratches and scrapes to clean out and buff before using the paint but after stripping. Stick with the PPG products, and you won't be redoing the wheels in less than a year.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Thanks everyone

I did find a place locally. They want $125 a wheel, which includes remounting and balancing my Michelins. Have to think about it. They promise the wheels will be like new.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

I too have been considering having my 91's wheel 'reconditioned'. I'd be very interested (if you go thru it) of your impressions...

@ $125/per wheel - that's quite comparable to 'some' new aftermarket rims.

You found this shop 'how'? Are they simply an 'auto body repair facility' or do they specialize in wheel refinishing? - Prolly no where near San Diego CA - LOL

Did they give you any idea on how long it would take to do it? Do they also 'clean up' the backside of the rim?

I truly love the stock rims for these early Exploders. Kind of a 5 spoke / swept blade style with plastic lug nut covers. I think the 'gunmetal / black' covers really sets off the tire.. Moreso than the 'silver' covers...

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

I called a tire place and they referred me to a specialty place somewhat near Wethersfield, CT, where I live. Rim repair apparently is all they do. My only issue now is the center caps. Despite the fact that I treat them really carefully, they are scoffing anyway, somehow. I've tried looking at lots of online parts place and, so far, I can't find any source for those from 91-94. I prefer the standard ones. I'm trying to keep my 92 as "showroom" as I can. Do you know of a source? I guess I could always try painting, if the rim place can't do anything with them. The scoffing of the caps is more noticeable than the problems with the rims actually.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

Personally, for a buck and a quarter a wheel, I'd opt for either new, aftermarket wheels, or try to find a clean used set from a simalar, or even newer style model....

YMMV!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum