Re: 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg bbs problems

> curious, what is the problem? > > > I've been checking out a few 2001 Jetta Wolfsburgs and noticed the > > dreaded bbs rim problems. There are extensive threads at vwvortex on > > this topic, but there are almost no mention of a solution to this. Since > > both VW and bbs don't seem to own up to this problem, having it fixed by > > a third party is the only alternative. Can the rims be polished or > > repainted by a body shop to fix the problem? > > > > The bbs is one of the main features differentiating a Wolfsburg, and it > > would be a shame if this problem cannot be fixed. Do the 2002 and 2003 > > bbs also have the same problem? Thanks.
Reply to
wolfiebuyer

I have not had any complaints that I know of yet at our dealer but will start looking at rims! I can tell you this... it's not just VW rims that have the same problem but think it's any rim with clearcoat finish near the edges. My old S10 Blazer has the same problems with them and my daughters VW GTIwith aftermarket rims looks the same. Here is what I think happens, if the clear coat gets cracked or chipped then water, salt, and other crap get between the clearcoat and aluminum and corrosion takes place. One thing to consider is just the small stones and crap on our highway can cause chips on the clearocat. Also when I mounted the tire on my daughters car I didn't use a tire machine to put them on, I just siliconed the bead and they slide on. And still had the problems. So what do I think the problem is... tire mounting-yes, environmental-yes, and possibly the clear getting worn off from the tires flexing at the beads. Should it be VW's problem- would be great if all got free rims but don't think it would be fare to VW. The fix should have been for VW/BBS not to use clear coat rims on a new car like most other VW's.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Had a similar problem on my old Jeep Cherokee..clear coat actually started peeling off and around the eges a lot of corrosion was taking place. Hey, anyon having problems with there center caps peeling? 2000 Jetta with some UGLY cernter caps. I have not changed the tires yet (bought it used a year ago) and i know the center caps were in fine shape when i bought them. Maybe im just wasing my car too much ;-) Let me know if anyone else is experiencing similar problems.

-kd

Reply to
Kyle Dennis

My 92 Jetta GLI bbs must not be clear coated. They were not babied and never have any of the problems found on the new bbs.

For a 01 Jetta Wolfsburg, what would be a reas>

Reply to
wolfiebuyer

Reply to
still in primer