32 x 11.5 x 15 on stock 15 x 7 steel wheels?

I have searched through a bunch of old messages to try and find the answer to this as I am sure you all must get tired of similar posts. However, I did not find exactly what I was looking for, so I thought I would post this to get your collective opinions.

As far as usage goes, the Jeep is a daily driver. I live in Las Vegas, so not much mud or snow. I'm not an extreme wheeler, but I do want to start doing some more difficult trails, etc. Last year I went to the Moab Easter Jeep Safari on the stock P215x75xR15 street tires.

Here is the question:

I have a 2002 Wrangler X with the 15 x 7 gray spoke steel wheels. I'd like to lift the TJ roughly 2" (or so) and retain the rims that came with it. Although most of the manufacturer tire specs claim that you need an 8" rim to go with the 11.5" tires, the guy at the Goodyear place seemed to think that mounting the 32x11.5x15 MTRs on a 15x7 rim would not be a problem. It seems that there are some earlier posts that indicated that there would be some clearance issues with the steering bump stops but that it could be adjusted in the case of 10.5 inch tires. Can they also be adjusted for the 11.5, or is that pushing it too much?

A related question. Most of the 2" lifts consist of two types: one that uses coil spacers and new shocks the other that uses new springs and new shocks

The coil spacer lifts are obviously cheaper, but in the long run are you better off with the more expensive spring replacing lift? Why?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Elton

IMHO, it's probably not a good idea to go wider than 10.5 on a 7" rim. The rule of thumb I was taught was max 1.5 times the rim width. In addition, I don't think you could trim out the rubbing with a 11.5" wide tire and stock wheels.

Spring lifts are generally better than spacer lifts primarily because they allow better travel and, as a result, more flexibility.

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
David C. Moller

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks for the links and the feedback. I appreciate it.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Elton