How Does One Remove Glued Trim From Car Body

Hi All

One of our cars has plastic panels along the bottom of the front fenders, doors and quarterpanels. Most models of this car were sold with just the plastic panels, however ours is a dressed up "special edition" that has plastic strips with fake chrome glued to the plastic panels.

The :"fake chrome" plastic trim strips are starting to look a little ragged and I would like to remove them from the plastic panel.

Is this doable without damaging the plastic panel that the trim strips are glued to? Has anybody done this before? If so, how did you do it and what tools or materials did you use?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have

KC

Reply to
KC

I'd try a hair dryer and a little prying on the panel with a putty knife. Be very careful and cover the prying instrument with electrical tape to protect the paint. It could possibly take some paint with it so watch out. You may also try some adhesive remover in addition, perhaps even before attempting to pry.

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

KC, I have used a heat gun to remove the rubber/plastic side molding from my Rx7. I would imagine you could use a hairdryer like it has been suggested. It would probably take a little longer. I peeled off the trim by hand but if you can find a plastic coated scraper or some object that wouldn't scratch the paint, it would go quicker. If you use any solvents or strippers, those might damage your paint. I could be wrong and that's always possible but just use some elbow grease and don't be in a hurry.

Reply to
Keith

Keith

I have a heat gun, so I can try that. Will have to really watch the heat, since this trim is glued to plastic lower body molding, and not metal.

One question - after you peeled the trim off your RX7, was there any glue residue left behind? If so, how did you remove it.

KC

Reply to
KC

A German TV show showed the use of dental floss plus a hair dryer to remove chrome badges. The floss was used as a saw between the badge and the body.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom

Body shop supply house will sell you a glue/decal remover wheel for a drill. It acts like an erasure.

BTDT, worked amazingly well, no paint damage, no solvents needed.

to this...

Steve Ottawa

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

Thanks for the responses - and the tip about the glue/pinstripe "eraser".

Sounds like it's doable with a little heat and patience.

KC

Reply to
KC

I had to remove a couple of those large multi-coloured "swirl-of-toothpaste" decals from a black car, and screwed around with solvents for a LONG time. The eraser did it in minutes, no residue, no paint damage.

Simply amazing.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

That eraser sounds like just what I need to get rid of the ugly decals on my car..

This car is black, and has a very unattractive decal of a city skyline. I think it was one of those dealer promotions where they take a car, slap on some decals, a couple of pin stripes and plastic strips with faux chrome onto the lower plastic molding and sell it as a "special edition"

I'm confident I can get the plastic strips off the molding with a heat gun, and I'm hoping that the eraser will remove any remaining glue residue without trashing the plastic molding.

KC.

"swirl-of-toothpaste"

Reply to
KC

Sorry about the delat responding. Yes I have some residue left over. I just need to peel it off by hand. From what others are talking about, that eraser concept might be the best way to go. My car is also black so that's good in some aspects. Just be careful with the heat gun and your paint.-Keith

Reply to
Keith

He can try nail polish. I have tried nail polish on a white body paint to remove those sticky things on a New Yorker. Doesn't seems to damage the white paint. Although, I wouldn't try it on plastic surfaces or any color painjob without testing on a small unused portion of paint first.

Reply to
Tibur Waltson