Replacement of Driver's side mirror...

on a 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer. Wife backed into the garage and clipped it, unfortunately it doesn't fold the other way and broke the plastic preventing it from doing that.

Ford says the mirror assembly is $187 but it's $46 in one hour labor to pull the inside door panel to remove, what they say, is 3 screws and then unplug the wiring to the puddle light/power mirror.

My question is how hard is it to open up that inside panel to gain access to removing that mirror assembly? Anybody done this before and have the steps noted.

Thanks for any advise......

Greg

Reply to
Greg

If you are careful and pry the panels off without breaking stuff the repair isn't hard. The biggest problem I had was finding all the screws that hold the handles and stuff to the door frame. As I remember there were several hidden ones. The hardest part to remove was the plastic cover that is right behind the mirror bolts. If I can find the picture I used I'll Post it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

It's not too hard, but... If they are only charging $46/hr, I'd let them do it, since they are sayng t will only be an hour's labor. That's an incredibly low rate, especially for a dealer.

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

Here are the steps. Good luck. Bill Mirror - Outside Rear View

Removal

  1. Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301).

  1. Remove the front door trim panel; refer to «Section 501-05».SEE BELOW

µ 3. Remove the speaker.

1 Remove the screws.

2 Disconnect the electrical connector.

3 Remove the speaker.

  1. Remove the outside rear view mirror (17682).

1 Disconnect the power mirror wiring clips.

2 Remove the outside rear view mirror nuts.

3 Remove the outside rear view mirror.

n Feed the power mirror wiring through the opening in the front door (20124).

Installation

µ 1. Note:

When the battery (10655) is disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 mi) or more to relearn the strategy.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Mirror - Outside Rear View

Removal

  1. Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301).

  1. Remove the front door trim panel; refer to «Section 501-05».

µ 3. Remove the speaker.

1 Remove the screws.

2 Disconnect the electrical connector.

3 Remove the speaker.

  1. Remove the outside rear view mirror (17682).

1 Disconnect the power mirror wiring clips.

2 Remove the outside rear view mirror nuts.

3 Remove the outside rear view mirror.

4 Feed the power mirror wiring through the opening in the front door (20124).

Installation

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Trim Panel - Front Door

Removal

Note:

High series shown, low series similar.

Note:

The window must be completely down to remove the front door trim panel.

  1. On high series front door trim panel, disconnect the battery ground cable (14301).

µ 2. Remove the screws.

µ 3. Remove the inside door handle cup (22634).

  1. On low series front door trim panel, remove the screw and the window regulator handle.

µ 5. Start in a lower corner and work around the panel and separate the front door trim panel (23942) from the front door (20124) to disengage the pin-type retainers.

µ 6. Lift the front door trim panel to disengage the top lip from the weatherstrip.

  1. Position the front door trim panel aside.

µ 8. Separate the power window switch finish panel from the door trim panel.

l Release the locking tabs.

µ 9. If equipped, remove the courtesy lamp bulb from the lens and remove the front door trim panel.