Replacement Shock Questions

My '97 XLT 4WD is ready for some new shocks. Anyone care to offer opinions as to the level of difficulty in replacing them? I'm reasonably competent with routine maintenance tasks -- is this the type of job I can do on a Saturday morning, or should I just let Sears do it? Do I need any special tools?

Also, recommendations for after market shocks? I only use it on-road, but do use it to haul some light loads (home repair stuff, etc.) as well as pull a small utility trailer with it.

Thanks!

Reply to
Steve Reppucci

You can do it yourself in about an hour or less. I used Bilsteins on my 96 Explorer. They added much more control (less up and down motion and less sway) with only a very small amount of increased ride harshness. Bilsteins are expensive compared to others, I think I paid $49 each, but I think they are worth it. After 65k miles, they still seem to be as good as new, whereas the stock shocks were worn out at 20k.

Reply to
sf/gf

I thought the Bilstiens were twice that much. I used Monroe Reflex and they are excellent. About $45 each.

Reply to
AZGuy

I paid $49 each in 98. Haven't priced them recently, but if they are in fact close to $100 each, I might or might not get them. That sure is a lot of money!!!

Reply to
sf/gf

Yes, I priced shocks for a '97 XLT V8 last year and the Bilsteins were around 100 a pop. I bought the Monroe reflexes and they work quite nicely.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

performanceproducts.com has them for $65. Autozone should be able to special order them for the same price. That said, you are probably better off with the Reflexes - the Bilsteins are very firm (but not harsh).

-Jonathan snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net

Reply to
Pond Scum