Replacing CV joints on 96 AWD?

Just trying to get a feel for what I'm in for. Should I do this myself? Can it be done without special tools? How much are the parts and what else do I need to replace while I have it apart?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
bill

I don't think the explorer front ends are all that tough to work on, but I have done quite a bit of work on cars. You are pulling the front end apart here - steering knuckles have to be moved out of the way. So it does take some time. Good selection of 1/2" sockets and a good torque wrench. Plus a tie rod end puller, possibly a gear puller and something to break the ball joint loose.

Don't know the parts cost. As far as what else to do - I would do the lower ball joints if you are going to get that far into it. It would not add much time to the job

You might want to subscribe to alldatadiy as they have step by step instructions and diagrams, as well as torque specs, etc. I find it better than the paper manuals like Haynes.

Are you sure its CV joints you need to replace? Yours would be the first AWD I have heard of that needed both CV joints done at once.

Reply to
ross via CarKB.com

Ross, thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure it's the CV joints. They make a clicking/crunching sound I can only hear at slow rolling speeds. I haven't replaced anything on the front drive in 150,000 miles so I'd be surprised if they weren't worn out. I'm curious why you say they wouldn't both wear out at the same time. They're both rolling the same right? I have to admit that the sound seems to be coming from the drivers side front wheel. Maybe I on;y have to do the one?

Bill

Reply to
bill

Ahha! Possibly we can save you the trouble of doing CV joints.

The first thing to check on the AWDs with the front end noises is the front driveshaft. That is especially true when you think the noise is from the drivers side.

The front driveshaft has a CV joint on the transfer case side that goes bad. The joint on the diff side ia a regular U-joint. To really tell if the CV joint is bad, you should pull the driveshaft. Often, the driveshaft will feel tight when you try to wiggle it, but until you get the dhaft off and move the CV joint around you won't be able to feel the roughness in the CV joint. Can't rebuild the CV joint, 225.00 at Ford for a new shaft.

People do have front axle CV's go bad, but its far less frequent than the driveshaft. Never seen one have two go at once.

So, check there first. Oh, and while you have the driveshaft off, jack up the front end, and rotate your front wheels to see if anything else seems unusual. My guess is all will be smooooooooth and tight.

You can also drive the truck a short distance with the driveshaft off - not far - this will allow you to check for front noises also.

Good luck!

Reply to
ross via CarKB.com

Thank you. I'll try it this weekend. I also posted this in a web based forum called

Not one reply. Then I noticed there are few replies to anyones questions. I guess the Usenet's not dead after all. Thanks again for the replies. Bill

Reply to
bill