Repost: Another center console question

I'd like to remove the center console from my '02 XLT so I can mount a ham radio; or at least know if it's possible. There's just no room under the dash anymore, and no room overhead because of the moonroof controls. Plus there's 12v DC already at that spot for the rear passenger's access.

Can the console be removed without ripping it to pieces, in case I decide to replace it? And, what's underneath the console? Floor carpeting or bare metal?

Rick Bryan New York, NY

Reply to
Corwin, Prince of Amber

Rick: Not regarding the console removal, but here's an option I've been using for several years. (Icom 2100H,as well as 706MK!!G) I built two "J" straps from sturdy metal. Turned them upside down to hook inside the console with the cover down. Then fastened the radio bracket to the "bottom" of the radio. Then bolted the "j" brackets to the radio mount. The radios hang off the console, giving great visibility to the controls. Nice added feature is when you leave the vehicle, you just lift the console cover, pick up the radio and shove it under the seat. Only disadvantage is you loose the use of one cup holder. Small price to pay! (99Limited) Bill

Reply to
Bill HALL