Synthetic Oil in Explorers

Does anyone put synthetic in their explorers ? Did you notice any difference in the engine running with it in there ? I know this can open up a enormous thread, but I'm thinking of running in my 2003 AWD Eddie Bauer Explorer.

Thanks, J.H

Reply to
JH

It *may* open up a thread but it will have more to do with Amsoil than anything else. You will not notice any running changes with the oil installed. You may or may not notice MPG improvements (my own experience showed synthetics to be dubious as a cost cutting measure).

There are very few reasons to run synthetic motor oils. If you are a dedicated conservationist, you may decide to preserve conventional crude stocks - bearing in mind that many "synthetics" are simply hydro-cracked conventional crude based oils - and you may want to research which is what. True synthetics are a "PAO" based oil. If you live where temperatures are very, very cold you may consider PAO synthetics..... extreme cold weather performance is very good. Where I live, this past winter handed us -50°f and colder.... my conventional oils appear to have performed well. If you live where temperatures get very high (like the planet Mercury)PAO synthetics might be a wise choice.

In the long run, I haven't seen synthetics make much difference in the life of the average motor.....

All of my vehicles are currently running conventional oils.... I had my fling with synthetics (PAO synthetics, not those pretenders to the throne) and didn't see any economical reason for using them. They aren't a wonder drug or magic bullet. Contrary to what some marketers may suggest, it is unwise to try extended oil change intervals while using synthetics (insert sound of dice rolling).

I'm not saying you should and I'm not saying you shouldn't.... I am saying you should research the decision and I am saying that if something sounds too good to be true.... it probably is.

Jim Warman

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

SZeveral decades ago, I sold Amsoil in my shop. It did indeed work better; engines didn't have as much wear, and fuel economy was better. It did, indeed, reduce friction compared to the dino oils of the day.

Today, dino oils are much better; with proper changes, engines will easily get to 200k miles with little wear; the other mechanical/electrical parts are what kill vehicles today. There's little reason (except extended change schedules) to use synthetics anymore.

Reply to
Bill Funk

I use Mobil 1 in my SOHC Exploder and yes it will give you a seat of the pants feeling over reg pet oils. I also change it between 3 & 4 thousand miles, what is a little extra cost for better performance and engine life. Why does Ford install at the factory 5W20 synthetic, because it gives a 1.5 MPG increase over reg pet oils on the Taurus. Be happy, use it and laugh at the ones who say it won't work. Replace the power steering oil also, your tranny is full of synthetic thanks to Ford.

R> Does anyone put synthetic in their explorers ? Did you notice any difference

Reply to
Ron & Maggie

year free service deal when I bought my 2003 XLT ( SOHC V6) and my dealer is using Ford Synthetic at my request. That said, I have been using Mobil 1 on all my cars since 1976. The latest example was my 1994 4 cyl Toyota Camry, which I sold with 130,000 miles on the clock. It still did not require any oil between 5000 mile changes.

My suggestion -- GO FOR IT!

Sy Cohen

Reply to
Sy Cohen

Thanks for all your help guys. I will look into this and see if I get a difference myself.

J.H

Reply to
JH

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

I sold a 91 F-250 w/460 EFI at 160K miles+; oil changes at 3K miles (we had a service deal: changes at 3K miles or 90 days, life of vehicle, $75; it cost $25 to trasfer that same deal to our 99 Expedition. Our 92 Explorer Sport has the same service; 180K+ miles, and still going strong. No synthetics needed). That engine, when sold, was as sound as when new, burned no more oil than it had to. With modern engines & oil at recommended change intervals, 200K miles is no problem at all.

I remember well when, if you reached 100K miles, the auto maker would put you in commercials, saying how reliable their engines were. Now, 100K miles is nothing. You can change oil at 5K miles and longer, and reach 100K miles.

Reply to
Bill Funk

My guess is that you won't notice any difference in how it runs.

My guess is, also, that your engine may last longer than ones that are run on conventional oil.

If you're not going to keep the car long, then I wouldn't spend the money.

I use synthetic (Mobil 1) just because it make me feel that I'm doing the best for my engine. And I expect to keep the thing for a long time!

Reply to
Alan Moorman