AWD VS. 4WD in 96-99 explorers/mountaineers

I'm looking into buying a 96-99 explorer, and I need it to do 2 things: Tow a heavy 20 foot boat up a compacted sand/mud boat ramp, and get me around reliably in snow and ice. I'm tempted by the V8's from these years, but most of them come with AWD instead of 4WD, and I don't know how good the AWD is in challenging conditions. Does anyone out there have any experience with either (or both) systems that can give me some guidance? I really don't want to get stuck in the mud.

Thanks,

Mike H.

Reply to
Mike H

I have a 96 AWD V8 and love it. I live in Eastern Canada and we just got hit with 3 feet of snow, and no problem. The V8 gives you way more power than the V6 and you never have to worry about having to put it in 4 wheel drive. The only thing I would say, that is if your looking for off road performance I.E. going 4 wheeling, the 4 wheel drive option is better as it gives you the 4 low option and you may need that for your boat pulling from the water.

Reply to
Marty Beckwith

I would avoid the V8 like the plague. It is a gas hog and the increase HP/Torque is almost negated by the increase in weight. Go with the standard V6 OHC. I also do not recommend AWD (but I confess, I live in Texas and have no need for it) they are, by comparison, a maintenace nightmare waiting to happen. They suck even more gas. I would recommend the 4WD. You have it when you need it and not much of a gas mileage penalty when you don't.

-Steve

I would avoid the V8 like the plague. It is a gas hog and the increase HP/Torque is almost negated by the increase in weight. Go with the standard V6 OHC. I also do not recommend AWD (but I confess, I live in Texas and have no need for it) they are, by comparison, a maintenace nightmare waiting to happen. They suck even more gas. I would recommend the 4WD. You have it when you need it and not much of a gas mileage penalty when you don't.

-Steve

if your buying to tow, get the V8. MPG is "that" different, the v6 has to work hard to keep up with the v8. compare the tow rating of the two, that will help.

I was also disappointed about the lack of 4x4 w/ the v8, but I have my jeep on the side, so I was less worried, only thing is no 4 low. So if you don't now or never will need 4low, I like the AWD. I am a duck hunter and it is fine in Mud (almost good), and claiming wet dirt hills just fine, Just not descending mountain jeep trail (no low range).

as for towing, it pulls just fine,

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

I should ask you how much your boat weighs? I am assuming around 3500 lbs. If memory serves me correctly the v6 explorer was rated at least 5400 lbs with proper rear end on 4x4 models. If I only had a nickel for every customer who came back complaining about the gas mileage on the 5.0 V8 explorers! If you can step into the newer ones and get the 4.6 V8 then that might be worth it. Excellent engine. Here is the specs:

4.0 SOHC V6 - 210HP / 215 ft torque 5.0 V8 - 215HP / 288 ft torque 4.6 V8 - 240HP / 285 ft torque

In my experience the observed fuel economy on the above (with 4WD) would be

15-19, 11-15. 14-20 respectively.

-Steve