Temperature control problem

Folks,

I own a 2005 Explorer XLT. It is a V-8, FWD, with 40K miles.

The problem I have is: when the temperature control knob is in the full cold position, everything is fine. But as I turn the selector to warm and then hot, I get a banging noise coming from the firewall (I think). I'm not at all sure how the temperature selector is supposed to work, my guess is that there is a motor that diverts hot anti-freeze to and from the heater radiator.

Also, even with the banging noise, the temperature selector seems to be working in the cold, warm and hot positions.

Any thoughts or ideas on what is causing this banging and what the fix is?

Thanks in advance.

Al, Poughkeepsie, NY

Reply to
Alan E. Seelbach

Folks,

After some Google research, I'm about 90% sure my problem is the actuator motor. I know how to prove or disprove this, before I spend any bucks on parts.

Happy Halloween!

Al, Poughkeepsie, NY

Reply to
Alan E. Seelbach