timing chain rattle

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer with an overhead cam. The timing chain rattles. When it's cold it is very loud and when it warms up it quiets
down some. What could be causing the rattle?

The 4.0 SOHC engine from that period is notorious for timing chain problems. I suggest you search google.com for "explorer timing chain." You should find plenty of info.
Bad tensioned or broken timing cassette
check if you have the "updated" tensioner old one is "flush" with the head, new one has cylinder type 1" long thingy on it
Also, when cold, remove oil filler cap and look inside with flashlight, you should see tensioner guide move, if not, cassette is broken