Trans problem

HI all, I hope someone can help me. We have purchased a '92 explorer 2wd. It is v6 with a four speed auto. The truck has 120000 miles and is in really good shape except that it does not have the 4th [overdrive] working. I dont know much about Ford auto trans and am hoping someone out there has a similar problem and what the outcome was. Scott

-- Message posted using

information at

zonie

Sad to say... the usual concern is a broken OD band... with those kinds of miles on the trans, you are further ahead to have the unit replaced or rebuilt.

Reply to
<mechanic

When mine lost OD the cure was to rebuild the transmission. What happened, and I don't think it's unusual, is that there is a thin "flat" roller thrust bearing supporting the OD drum. It's quite delicate looking (they showed me the trashed parts) and I'm sure it's a big reason why they say not to tow in OD. I can't imagine that thin bearing holding up under heavy load for very long. When that bearing goes the drum gets torn up and won't hold pressure and you lose OD. I could be wrong but I suspect that if you can live without OD you could just put it in D all the time and just have a 3 speed auto.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Thanks for the replies. We have been running the truck without OD. It makes no attempt to go into OD and there is no noises. I appreciate your input and plan to take it to the trans shop soon.

Scott

-- Message posted using

information at

zonie