'02 F150 4.6L Triton stutters

Hello I have an '02 F150 with the 4.6L Triton. From about 45 to 50 the engine stutters. If I push the gas, it guns and good, but in that range, very noticable with overdrive off. Tried Mass Airflow Sensor cleaner, no help. Idles a little rough, too, but not bad. (Not sure if this helps) No flags on the computer. Any ideas? OldIron

Reply to
OldIron

Automatic transmission? I assume so because you mentioned turning overdrive off. If the transmission fluid hasn't been changed in a while, try that. We had a T-bird with the 4.6 that developed a stutter at similar speeds and I sure thought it was engine related. A good friend was service manager at a Ford dealer and told me to change the ATF, whether or not I agreed or understood why. Just do it, he said. Sure enough, the stutter went away and stayed away for another 60,000 miles or so, then I needed to change it again. I've since read about this happening to F-150s also.

Our T-bird had a rubber plug on the bottom of the bell housing that allowed access to a drain plug on the torque converter. Hopefully your truck does too. My '07 F-150 does but has very few miles on it so no ATF change yet. If you have this plug, you can drain almost all the ATF in the tranny, but have a big drain pan handy.

Reply to
Martin Walker

Reply to
OldIron

Reply to
OldIron

I'm surprised that you would feel a misfire that the computer did not detect.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
OldIron