Gas Mileage comparison, '99 vs '03 Explorer XLT

I recently traded my '99 Explorer XLT for a '03. Both have 4.0L V6, 2 wheel drive and 3.55 axle.

The '99 is rated 16 city, 20 highway, the '03 is rated 15 city, 21 highway. My driving is approximately 35% city, 65% highway.

I record every gallon used, and enter it into a spreadsheet which calculates tank mileage, 10K mile average, and overall average. The first thing you notice is a tendency for the tank-to-tank mileage to go up and down about 1-3 mpg. I feel that any measurement of just a tank or two probably contains significant errors. Here are the totals from my two cars:

'99 Explorer 57362 miles, 3036 gallons 18.89 mpg. '03 Explorer 4063 miles, 234 gallons 17.36 mpg

Bottom line, I'm surprised the new Explorer is getting lower mileage.

Toby G.

Reply to
Toby G.

Did your '99 have the SOHC 4.0L V-6 or the pushrod 4.0L V-6? My '91 Explorer (pushrod

4.0L V-6) got about 1.5 to 2.0 MPG than my '02 Explorer with SOHC 4.0L V-6. Both had the factory tow package with 3.73 axle and were 2 wheel drive. Also, the '91 weighed about 200 lbs. less than the '02.

DS

Reply to
dstaffor[SpamNot]

The difference is not THAT great. My guess is that as the new ride breaks-in, mileage will improve that 1MPG difference. True, your old vehicle included the break-in period, but the total sampling period of almost 60,000 miles gave a truer picture than just the first 5000. Give it time and, hey, it's an Explorer. 17MPG...18MPG...it's not going to compete with PRIUS for mileage champ.

Reply to
B. Newman

my 96 V8 XLT averages about 16-17 in town, and 19-20 on the hwy...

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

Your '03 with 4000 miles is not broke in yet. See what it does between 4000 and 6000 miles in the next couple of months. Tire pressure? I run 35rear and

32 front. wth
Reply to
wth

Hey Chief, what tire pressures are you running? And do you have full-time

4WD? I run 31 pounds all around, and my gas mileage is a bit lower -- 14-15 in town. Mine's a '97 XLT V8 with 94K miles and full-time 4WD.
Reply to
Mags

Reply to
John Shoemaker

I run 32 psi, and mine's a 2wd..

114,000 miles on the rig, however the motor has 12,000 on it (rebuilt last summer )...

Reply to
Chief Wiggum