Weight distribution hitch

I just recently purchased a 2000 XLT. I am thinking of doing some light towing in the future. I am not sure if I really need a seperate hitch installed or can just get by screwing a ball into the bumper. The bumper says it can take up to 3500LBS. I don't plan on towing anything close to that (maybe just a small cargo trailer from time to time).

The question I have is that the owners manual recommends a weight distribution hitch. I have seen photos of these but why do I need this and what does it do?

I have never towed anything before so this is all new to me...

Reply to
sig-239

I can't be sure, but the bumper may also state that this is the rating for the BUMPER and not for the vehicle it is attached to. Check the GVWR listed on the door sticker and also check the owners manual to be safe.

You are indeed much better off with a frame mounted hitch though I'm not sure about needing a weight distributing hitch. Aside from the pull weight (the 3500# you refer to) we also need to consider tongue load..... this is the amount of trailer weight that is actually transferred to the towing vehicle and can be more critical than than total weight of the trailer.

I can't put any real life numbers to weight relationship between tongue load and total towed weight, but getting too much load onto the trailer and not transferring enough to the tongue can lead to some real white knuckle moments (providing you're lucky enough to recover from them)...

Not to lecture but I feel it important to remind everyone that the safety of our loved ones and those around us should be a prime consideration and should never take second place to false economy...

HTH

Jim Warman

Although the bumper hitch is rated for 3500 lbs, check the vehicle rating which includes things like which rear-end ratio you have to get what your truck is rated for. At the least, though, I believe you can count on easily towing 1500 lbs. I've used the Explorer bumper hitch for years on a variety of towed things and it is every bit as sturdy as an aftermarket category II hitch I had installed on another vehicle.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

In my camper towing days, the rule of thumb was that the tongue weight should be about 10% of the trailer weight. With a 3500# trailer and

350# t>I can't be sure, but the bumper may also state that this is the rating for
Reply to
Big Shoe