What's the optimum lenghth for shocks?

I am finishing modifying the chasis for a medium/heavy duty truck (Ford F250, 4x4, crew cab, 460cid. The shock mounts are welded in place and are ready to receive new shocks.The front shocks must be stem mount on both ends. The rear shocks must be loop mount on both ends (done deal can't change). Since I don't, and won't have a mfg. recommended shock I want to make sure the shocks I install are not too short or too long. I don't want to use a short shock and stretch it to its maximum when installed as I would only have damping when compressed, but at the same time I don't want a shock so long that I lose the damping action by having it bottomed out. Anyone with a good idea for calculating the optimum lenghts of the shocks so they will work in their optimum range of motion, and have equal damping ranges of compression and expansion? I am also open for suggestions as to what brand and model shocks to use.

Reply to
fordcrew

Your best bet is to allow the suspension to reach full droop and measure the required length..... ditto at full bound (compression). Select a shock whose compressed and extended lengths exceed your measured lengths.... This way you can be sure if your shock has sufficient travel to begine with.

Bear in mind that not all shock valving is created equal..... A mini-car shock on the front of your truck (unless it's a multi-hock arrangement) would have a tough time keeping up with the truck and could overheat on rough roads.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman