Shocks for 940

Does anyone know who made the shocks for a 93 940 turbo when it was first built? (OEM) I have 205,000 miles on mine and I would love to get the ride back like it was new...how does one tell when the shocks are bad?

Reply to
Michael Rose

I'm not sure who made the OEM shocks, but they're stamped Volvo. At 205K they're almost certainly worn, if not completely bad. The usual way to test shocks is to press down sharply on the bumper and watch the car. It should rebound and stop, if it oscillates at all then the shocks are bad. There's other good choices for shocks too, if you want the ultimate better than OEM ride, try a set of Bilsteins, but they're expensive compared to OEM.

You should look into replacing all the suspension bushings and at least check the ball joints, in my experience those make a bigger difference than the shocks and if they're original the rubber will certainly be worn.

Reply to
James Sweet
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I know Volvo used Boge quite alot, certainly on the 300 series, but they really were rubbish, wearing out after about 80K miles.

I put Bilsteins in the rear after my self leveling ones were down right dangerous (almost a tank slapper in some conditions, if you can use the term for a car) and havn't bothered with the front yet (140K). They are not V bad but will change soon.

I changed the tapered bushes that join the radius arm to the bottom lever arm at the front. The rubber was gone on the old ones and the metal rust away and merged with the lever arm, had to chip it out. Made a lovely difference to the steering quality, much less bump steer and veering.

-- TonyS

Reply to
Tony

On my 93 240 I have 4 BOGE. Really rough the first 2-3 years. I heard that Bilsteins are even harder than BOGE. Also got new coil springs at same time.

Reply to
Someone

You can get excellent aftermarket shocks and struts, Volvo didn't make the original ones and they weren't spectacular to begin with.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'm just saying that you can buy "aftermarket" shocks that are the same brand Volvo originally used, but that don't say Volvo on them and are thus a fraction of the cost. Volvo doesn't and has never manufactured shocks.

Reply to
James Sweet

And there is no reason you would want to buy the Volvo branded ones, as we have deduced the Boge units are poor quality and are the OE. Bilstein or Monroe for example give lifetime gurantees. Most aftermarket suppliers offer standard damping rates or uprated rates, this is what dictates the 'feel' for the shocks, although the shocks are only a part of the equation.

Also don't forget about the strut top bushes, changing these makes a good difference.

-- TonyS

Reply to
Tony