Inverted Shocks, what is the benefit?

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Up-Country option, the factory shocks are tired and I want to replace them. I noticed they are mounted upside down and wondered what the benefit is by doing that?

With my new purchase should I mount the new shocks in the same matter? Even if they are not gas shocks? I wanted to go with a hydraulic shock hoping to improve the ride and so far I really like the Doetsch DT3000 series. Will it matter how they mount?

On that note, would there be a better choice in shocks? Thanks!

Reply to
Bill Johnson

Your shocks were probably installed by a lose nut under the jeep. If you mount them up side down they cannot shed water dirt and mud and the shock acts like a cup but what do I know?

Reply to
HarryS

I mounted my Rancho 9000s upside down so the dampening adjuster would not be exposed to utter annialiation.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
twaldron

I don't think it was done in error. The top of shocks are a pin mounting type that mounts to the body. There is no other way to mount them.

Reply to
Bill Johnson

I think your upper mounts are different from mine though, correct? The rear of my ZJ has "EB1" mounts top and bottom. I thought the TJ had the bar pin type of mounts on the upper mount? As my friend HarryS said, what do I know? :)

Do I specify which way I want to shocks to go or will Doetsch just send whatever they designed for the ZJ? Thanks!

Reply to
Bill Johnson

Reply to
twaldron

The Edelbrocks on my JGC are required to be installed upside down.

Reply to
Dick

Turns out, some shocks can and others should not be mounted up side down. Check with the manufacture. If they are approved to be mounted in either direction, up side down sometimes can make for better clearance against suspension (and other things).

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries

Reply to
JimG

You crawl over cows, and damage their utters... that's sick!

:-)

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

No wonder there are mad cows!

Udderly ridiculous!

JimG wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Yea... what he said! JimG

Reply to
JimG

Not gonna comment on this particular utterance ;o)

Skip

Reply to
<m>