What would replace a 1991 Explorer XL?

I'm still driving my 91 XL, bought new (took delivery Christmas Eve

1990). She now has all of 173000km (~110K mi)! This is an XL with AC, cruise control, rear window defroster (rear wiper long since fallen off), and not much else (I put on 235 Michelins in 1996).

But she's also rusting again (did a major repair including new metal back in 1998). And often runs rough when cold (can't duplicate in the shop). And a wiring problem from a while back that makes me too nervous to drive regularly out of town. Will probably need new tires soon (just discovered one had a leak in the sidewall, so I'm going to have to get something as a spare).

I love this vehicle (it's the only one I've ever owned). But I have to recognize that it will be time for a replacement soon.

I don't much like the newer Explorers, they're too big and too fancy and too expensive (but mostly the first two). A friend rented one for a weekend a while back and it was just too much (of course it was probably loaded, being a rental). I see the specs have the new Explorers at about 114" wheelbase instead of 109" for mine (I think).

But the Escape is actually smaller (and the cabin feels cramped). I also looked at the Sante Fe but it's the same size as the Escape. I guess the Explorer and its competition have crept up in size, and then there's another group a bit smaller.

What if anything would be a good replacement for a 1991 XL? The forthcoming Escape Hybrid appeals, just to be different, but if I'd really wanted to be ahead of the curve I should have bought a Prius two years ago.

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Thanks! andrew andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber

Andrew Webber wrotenews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And AWD Japanese Honda Pilot or simular.

No one needs an SUV and a faux station wagon is best for most needs. That will be my next car, unless I need to tow a large sailboat around.

I really am liking sporty minivans myself now.

I'll never buy American again, and that's for sure, unless it's such a steal that the cost of all the fixing is equal to the quality of the Japanese.

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi

That's an interesting statement. Just because you do not need an SUV does not mean that nobody does...

Actually, no one *needs* a Honda Pilot. Mini-SUVs are the useless vehicles. They can't tow, or carry people or much cargo... what the heck *are* they good for?

I need an SUV because I routine trailer my boat and carry 5 passengers and there is no "mini-SUV" or car or "faux station wagon" (whatever that means) will do that.

-Fred W '97 XLT 5.0 AWD

Reply to
Fred W.

Thanks both for the comments. Not sure if I posted this in this thread, but I settled on the Subaru Forester and picked it up yesterday!

No, it's not a direct replacement for the 91 Explorer (that would probably have been the 04 Jimmy 4dr) but I found my needs and wants have changed in the 14 years I drove my baby.

=aw

andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber

Subaru.....boy will you be sorry. Go read the comments on alt.autos.subaru. People with 3 year old Subaru's are looking to replace engines, constant problems....CHEAP CHEAP car. Right up there with Kia, Hyundai and Daewoo.

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik