Wheel Bearings?

2003 Ford Explorer 2wd- When Making turns, especially to the right, There seems to be some vibration or a slight thumping sound coming from the front wheels and the road noise is louder when turning. They are new tires. Someone said it could be the wheel bearings. Looked underneath and everything looks fine. Any ideas and how hard is it to change wheel bearings yourself.
Reply to
Scott Hurst via CarKB.com

hi i think it might be the tires only. it is not a problem. i had the same when i installed some new bf goodrih on my 2002 explorer. when turning the tires make a plump, plump sound. big-ev

Reply to
BIG-EV

My 2003 XLT 4X4 started making a grinding noise when starting out from a dead stop with the wheels turned. I swore it was coming from the front end. Its still under warranty so I brought it to the dealer. It turned out to be the clutch pack in the 3.73 posi rear (the car has the optional tow package). The dealer says its a common problem. I was thinking front wheel bearngs or CV joints too. I was surprised at how the drive train can mask the source of noises.

Dick OKeefe

Reply to
Richard O'Keefe

Mine is a 2003 two wheel drive. The tires have about 4000 miles on them and rotating them doesn't have any affect. It is worse turning to the right, and the you just have to turn the steering wheel a slight bit. Does anyone know where a person can buy the hub/wheel bearing assy. and what the cost is on them?

Reply to
Scott Hurst via CarKB.com

"Scott Hurst via CarKB.com" wrotenews: snipped-for-privacy@CarKB.com:

How about

???

And you dont' need no stinkin hub, just the bearings, they're cheap.

And once you pull the wheels off and the outer hub, they'll full right off.

Reply to
Mapanari

Already checked autozone and a couple of other parts store chains. They don't have it. From what I understand the 2003 explorer 2WD has wheel bearing/hub assy made by Timken. And it has to be replaced as a complete assy. The reason I'm leaning toward this being the problem. is when I took it by a repair shop, they test drove it and believed this is my problem. They wanted $758 to do the job

Reply to
Scott Hurst via CarKB.com

"Scott Hurst via CarKB.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@CarKB.com:

I'd suggest being real careful with that shop. Normally, wheel bearing problems are diagnosed by directly examining the "play" in the hub to spindle connection, e.g. wiggling the tire while the car is on jackstands (or similar).

Reply to
Clark

Reply to
Big Shoe
2002 Explorer XLT with V-8, 61,000 one owner miles in 3 years miles and now I've got three bad wheel bearings (both rear and driver's side front). Seems awful quick to wear out. They are the newer "hub and bearing assembly" but expensive. Auto mechanic buddy says Ford OEM and replacement bearings are Chinese in original and recommends replacing with SKF (US made and higher quality) at same price. Anyone got any better ideas? Refutation of the info re source of parts?

Reply to
NCV-VT

Did you ever get this problem fixed? Iam having the same problem with my

2002xlt. Took it to goodyear and the front wheels are loose (wriggle). Bearings are bad...they are sealed. So you replace whole assembly. Only 53,000 miles on car and I have extended warranty. So I hope they cover it. Why do I love explorers?
Reply to
Pedrodog