RSX wheel bearing questions...

Ok, it's a 2002 base rsx. All stock, no mods. The passenger side wheel has been making a speed related thumping noise for a while, more pronounced while turning left than right - I think it started when I replaced the tires about 3 weeks ago, but it may have been doing it before then - the old tires were pretty bad, and I may have dismissed odd sounds.

So I took the car back to the place that replaced the tires, and had them rebalance everything, and check it out, and rotate the tires, and they said they thought the wheel bearing was bad. The sound is still coming from the same place after rotating the tires. They couldn't replace it right away, but guesstimated a price around 300$.

Does this all sound right? Is 300$ (US) about right? Should I have this sort of thing done by the acura dealership, or can anyone do it? For that matter, is it something I could do - any special tools required? (No bearing pullers here, but otherwise I'm pretty well equipped) How long do I dare drive this thing before getting it done - money is a bit tight, but if it needs to be done pronto, I can find a way?

Thanks for any info!

Reply to
Yoda

I'm guessing it is like the bearings in my son's '94 Integra and my own 2002 Toyota. If so, it involves removing the steering knuckle (removing the drive axle and a bit more work after that) and then changing the bearings in the knuckle. That part requires a good press - we ended up taking the knuckle and parts to a machine shop and paid about $25.

A second opinion on the bearings is in order, though - they aren't high on my list of suspects for thumping noises.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Yoda wrote in news:2007061511431416807-yoda@Dagobahnet:

A wheel bearing is normally a loud howling noise. It often shows up on a gentle curve in one direction but not in the other.

Thumping noises are usually tires. Any vibration in the steering wheel? Did they load up the tire with weights because they couldn't get it mounted true?

If they moved the tires and the noise is unchanged, that would seem to place the noise at that corner. But a"thumping" from wheel bearings? I don't think so...

Are your wheels and/or tires aftermarket or aftermarket sizes?

Reply to
Tegger