02 Jag s-type AC Temp switch

My 02, 3.0 s-type's ac fan will not shut off, by the switch. It seems all the buttons still work, looking at the tempter control, it looks like it goes off but the fan stays running. It even sounds as if the vents close, which makes the fan noise get even louder when it is suppose to be shut off. The fan seems to go from high to low, just not off. So far the only way I have figured out to shut it off is to remove the relay, could my problem be the ac temperature switch? Would this cause the fan to run even when the ac/heater is shut off? If so where is it physical located. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Billy

As I imagine it's got climate control,(set the temp digitally), the likely culprit is a shorted blower driver transistor in the controls.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for the reply

Yes it has climate control. How would I check that out, I'm a little out of my element here but I would think the fan would not adjust from mim to max with the heater/ac on, if that was the problem. Of course I don't know what would cause the problem or I would not be posting here :) After doing some reading on the net, I decided to take a chance on it being the ac temperature switch and went ahead and bought one on-line. I figured it I was wrong I was only out 25.00, if I take it to the Jag dealer (out of warrantee) I will be paying a couple hundred at least. But now that I have the switch, I can't seem to find where it is located on my car. I either received the wrong part, or I am looking in the wrong place, because what I thought was the ac temperature switch does not look what I received in the mail.

Reply to
Billy

Sorry, I cant help you there...

There's a common failure in drive transistors where a 'hole' is punched through by a voltage surge and it wont shut completely off.

Just think of the drive transistor as a water valve, and yours has a damaged 'washer.'

EASIEST thing to do would be to replace the entire module, but, again, cant help you past that point.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for your help, I'll still look for this tempter control switch, and replace it first. It could be the same thing with a different name. From the looks of it, it is just a thermal resistor, so it may function the same as a drive transistor.

Hood

Reply to
Billy

Y' know.... I have a real hard time in avoiding anything that comes close to stating the obvious.... I did notice that you do spend a lot of time on political/social issue types of NGs.... NGs where we hope that sound advice is dispensed and sound thought is practiced.....

With this in mind, let us practice some sound thought..... Ford owns a major interest in Jaguar.... this can mean one of two things..... Fords and Jaguars are vastly different or there are a whole bunch of Jaguar owners getting hose real bad...... If Fords and Jaguars are vastly different... this can mean one of two things.... you don't realze that there's not a whole bunch of Jag experience in this NG as far as I can tell (I looked at the sign on the door again and it does say "Ford") or you do know that there isn't a whole bunch of Jag experience in here but just needed the chance to wave your Jag at the blue collar types (I recall other similar posts in the past, though I can't remember the poster). If you don't realize that Fords and Jags are vastly different and you don't realize that there wont be much good Jag info in a Ford NG...... this can only mean that there is a very real chance that you shouldn't be offering advice on major issues like politics and society..... If you are simply waving your Jag at us, you'll probably make a wonderful dirtbag.... I mean, politician

Reply to
Jim Warman

If they owned no interest would they mean they would be similar?

or there are a whole bunch of Jaguar owners

Does that mean there is a whole bunch of escalade owners getting hosed real bad or are the focus owners getting over on us all?

... If Fords and Jaguars are vastly different...

as far as I can tell (I looked at

What? you don't have ac in your pinto?

or you do know that there

Don't be jealous

If you don't realize that Fords

I don't give advice in those NG, I give facts, something I was looking for here, what I found was someone with nothing of value to say.

.. If you are simply waving your Jag at us, you'll

I'll take your advice and put it where it belongs. FLUSH

Reply to
Billy