1963FALCON STEERING

CAN I TIGHTEN UP THE STEERING BY TURNING THE SCREW ON TOP AND HOW FAR

Reply to
NICHNOSE

What part of the steering? The ratio? The column?

Reply to
Spike

NICE!

It's really cool you were able to bring that poor thing back to life.

Reply to
El Bandito

Turn off the caps lock and we can chat..... much depends on the condition of the steering gear. If the gear`is excessively worn, adjusting the mesh preload over centre can give us the white knuckle ride of our life.

By design, the centre portion of the steering gear travel is tighter than the area to each side. Since most of our driving is done with the wheel very close to the straight ahead position, this extends the expected life of the steering gear.

The problem arises when this high point erodes to the point of problems. Instead of the single, original high point (tight spot might be a better term), we wind up with two "new" high points... one on each side of centre. Bad enough to try and steer it in this configuration, adjusting the steering box tighter will usually give us something that we don't drive... instead, all we can do is herd it down the road, looking more like the aftermath of a new years party rather than a responsible driver.....

Give it a try, if you like.... Personally, on a steering gear that is 40+ years old, I'd be thinking replacement.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks... still things to do, but it's a little better than it was initially... my wallet isn't.... LOL : 0 )

Reply to
Spike

Everyone who has adjusted that screw, with positive results raise their hands...........

Bueller?

Any one?

Anyone there?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Piece of cake. Only takes a few minutes and makes a huge difference.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Backyard Mechanic wrote in news:Xns97255E3027778pettyfogery@207.115.17.102:

How long of a list do you want???? Yes it is doable. Email me spike and I can tell you the complete correct procedure. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

I think you misdirected your response, for the question regarding steering was not mine.

Reply to
Spike

Sorry about cap locks. The car only has 60k miles on it and it goes down the road like a drunk. I was told I could tighten the screw on the gear box but not to far.

Reply to
NICHNOSE

I drove a Plymouth like that once. I was so worn out after 10 miles that I turned it back over to my wife... it was her folks car, and the one she learned to drive in. She had no problem.

Sounds like it's time for a replacement....

Reply to
Spike

Older cars, even when properly maintained with good tires, usually do not steer as accurately as most newer cars. If the bushings, tie rod ends,ball joints, drag links, wheel bearing, brakes, and steering box are in good shape, nothing is bent and rust has not eaten up some of underbody areas where steering parts are mounted to it may just be that you are not comfortable with what was considered acceptable at the time. In that case adding some better parts, sway bars, suspension and body stiffeners might make it better.

Reply to
Steve Stone