1978 Ford Fairmont

Heya. I have another question about my POS. My front tires seem to be wearing weird, so I jack up the front end to check the bearings. They are fine but DAM! there is like a 1/4 to 3/8 inches of play where the shaft(rod?) goes into the rack (rack and pinion steering?). Each tire has this play and the loosness is at the R & P.

Question: Do I need a new one or can I rebuild this one? A new one is like

80-150, and the rebuild is around 50.

Thanks! Shawn

1978 Ford Faitmont, 3.3L Inline 6.
Reply to
NEWS

NEWS opined in news:xuKqd.179997$G15.153595@fed1read03:

inner tie rod, most are replaceable; loosen the boot, make sure it isnt leaking PS fluid before you buy the replacements

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic