Inner tie-rod ends

I posted this on alt.autos.nissan, too (1987 Nissan Pulsar) but thought I would do the same here as the Honda groups get more traffic and responses. It's a pretty general question, also.

How do you remove the tie rods to get to the inner ends? The outer ends are obvious, of course. Do you just 'unscrew' the tie rods until they come out?

Thanks,

-- R Flowers

Reply to
R Flowers

I'll try to help, but it's pretty hard to explain. The car we did this on was a 94 Accord EX.

We removed the boot covering the inner tie-rod and steering rack. Basically there is a locking clip that is punched in that holds the inner tie-rod in place. You have remove this clip, then you can loosen the inner tie-rod. This would be much easier to do with the car on a lift. On jack stands it was the most time consuming part of an almost complete front end rebuild.

Install the new inner tie rod and punch the new locking clip. Make sure you have new locking springs for the boot that goes over the steering rack. You don't want any elements getting in the steering rack.

Reply to
JQO

yes, but you need to do so from inside the boot. extend the rod as far as possible for the side you're going to do, pull back the boot, and the inner end connector should be visible. should be easy to figure out how it comes off from there. tip: try not to unscrew solely against the rotation resistance of the rack rod - hopefully, yours has some flats on it which can be held with a wrench. if the rod end is stiff to unscrew and the rod is unsupported, you're forcing it against the pinion gear, which while it should be ok, nevertheless runs the theoretical risk of some damage.

Reply to
jim beam