Rack and pinion replacement. How to ensure tie rods are in proper place.

I am replacing the rack and pinion on my 1990 mustang. I also bought new ou ter tie rod ends. Is there an acurate way to put the new tie rod ends on th e new rack the same distance as the old tie rod ends on the old rack? I hav e a digital caliper but cant think of a good referrence point to measure.

I knew someone on here would be smarter on this than me. I have never done this before.

Also, I am going to go by autozone and replace the front struts.

Would you replace the rag joint as well?

Reply to
stryped1

@ Count the turns when removing the existing TREs, then an alignment.

I knew someone on here would be smarter on this than me. I have never done this before.

Also, I am going to go by autozone and replace the front struts.

Would you replace the rag joint as well?

@ Not unless there are signs of deterioration.

Reply to
.

outer tie rod ends. Is there an acurate way to put the new tie rod ends on the new rack the same distance as the old tie rod ends on the old rack? I h ave a digital caliper but cant think of a good referrence point to measure.

e this before.

You can get it close by counting the turns, but you'll have to get an align ment

Reply to
m6onz5a

w outer tie rod ends. Is there an acurate way to put the new tie rod ends o n the new rack the same distance as the old tie rod ends on the old rack? I have a digital caliper but cant think of a good referrence point to measur e.

ure from the grease nipple to the jam nut on the old set up. But I cant und erstand how this would work. That just tells you the length of the outer ti e rod and jam nut, not how far the outser tie rod and jam nut go onto the t hreaded shaft of the new rack and pinion.

one this before.

Reply to
stryped1

a buddy counted the turns of the tie rod when he did my r & p for my breeze. He got it close enough for me. I can let go of the wheel and it goes straight. No funny wear either even though I do need struts & mounts.

Reply to
m6onz5a