1983 Bronco catalytic converter

Hello,

I have a 1983 Bronco (full size) on which a previous owner modified the exhaust. The PO removed the catalytic converter and installed dual 2.5" OD exhaust piping with glasspack mufflers. To pass vehicle emissions and safety inspection, I'll need to install catalytic converters. I'm considering Walker 15053 with 2.5" ID inlet and outlet. The engine is a

351W.

Where should the catalytic converter be placed relative to the exhaust manifolds? On newer vehicles I see the cats are placed right after the manifold -- assuming I can get it to fit, is this generally the best location for cats? Any problems with placing them further downstream if I can't get things to fit closer?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

You want them as close as possible so they get hot enough to "light off" as soon as possible.

Reply to
clare

Thanks very much. Looks like there is enough room to get them pretty close to the manifolds.

Tom

Reply to
Tom