1985 Ford F150 power steering question

Have a friend who owns a 1985 F150, 5.0 Fuel Injected. He says the power steering at higher speeds is so sensitive he's afraid he's going to roll the truck, if he has to try to quickly avoid something . He's driven many types of cars, so I don't doubt his remark.

I told him I would check this forum to see if anyone knows what the problem is. Thought possible there was an adjustment on the power steering someplace. Or is the truck just made that way?

Thanks

Reply to
Ray

If this is a change in characteristics for the vehicle, I would suspest the control valve in the steering gearbox. He may want to check for anything worn or loose before condemning the gearbox. Make sure you check the gearbox to frame mounting bolts and the flex joint in the steering column shaft. Look ay yhe firewall around the area where the column passes thru and the pedals are mounted for signs of cracking. A truck that old may have shot radius arm bushings which is common and will make it drive like it's drunk. They may also clunk with the brakes applied. The one on the right side is the first to go because it is next door to the converter.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut