Power Steering Conversion for 1985 4wd Pickup w/ 22r

I have a 1985 4wd Toyota Pickup with a carburated 22r, 5spd manual transmission, and it has no power steering or a/c. I would like to convert the truck to power steering and I am wondering what is involved. I know it will need a new steering box as well as the p/s pump to be mounted under the hood. I also wonder if there are conversion kits for this? And how such a conversion will effect the steering linkage.

thanks, Anders

Reply to
Wolfgang

You're better off (cost wise) with used parts from a private party or a junk yard.. Suspect the main pulley on engine might be different too. Pretty much just a wrenching job -- get the bolts off the donor they may be longer than the bolts currently in the car (at least they are when adding A/C).

Reply to
Wolfgang

Yep, steering box, pump, lines, brackets, crankshaft pulley and the reservoir. You'll need to drill holes to mout the reservoir on the inner fender, otherwise all the rest bolts on. You'll want '85 or older to keep the stock "push-pull" steering. However, if you take your rig off-road, consider installing crossover steering (see

for an example) and get the '86/later IFSsteering box. You won't regret it:

Roger Brown

eBay item #2475725053 is a Toyota power steering switchover for a '93

22RE 4WD PU. "Buy It Now" is $160 + $40 s/h. Good pics of all the parts!

That MAY be exactly what you need... That's a good price, IMHO!

Reply to
Ms. Manners