power steering on 1995 f150

hi have a f150 xlt w/ 5.0... Just recently the steering became jerky and lacked fluid movement. It seems to be getting progressively worse. It's like the power steering kicks on, then off.... especially at low speeds. It's very jerky, and the car wheel doesn't wind back down to it's normal state after taking a turn---i have to sort of turn it back in place. hopefully that made sense.

Any ways, not sure what's the problem. Quick check of the power steering fluid looked normal. Any ideas?

Thanks,

..n8

Reply to
mojo

Did you check your belt tension to the pump?

Plasyd

Reply to
Plasyd

Old timer once told me to change the fluid (you can siphon out some, add new, run it for a week or so, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat until it helps. (This keeps you from having to take the pump off the engine). Had an old '79 Ford van that did that and changing the fluid in this manner solved it.

Reply to
Don

Mine was working fine when I took the pump apart. I had replaced the steering gear (loose sector shaft bearing) and went ahead and replaced the pump too. There is a screen on the back of the pump where the return hose connects. That sucker looked to me to be totally plugged up yet it was still working. :) The screen had collected small pieces of the pump's vanes but they also still looked real good too.

After I cleaned it all up and put it back together decided to try out "my new spare" and it leaked to beat hell. ;) Need to but a new replacement "O" ring for the case, I guess, silly-cone didn't even seal it for some odd reason. :/ The O ring has a square cross section with a 4+ inch diameter and everything has to be -just right- for it to seal good.

Ok, now you guys can tell me ...it's a different pump he's got right? :/

Yeah. Did ya?

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj