1987 thunderbird turbo coupe brake problem

the manuals dont give much information about the hydralic brake booster on the 87 turbo coupe. the brake pedal gets really hard stopping power is minimal. wondering if anybody has had any experiance with this system because im shooting in the dark. example if there is an easy way to check this kind of booster see where the fault is "loss wire, bad harnesses" some common problem i dont know about, any info would really help before me and my freind rip his car apart.

Reply to
drivewaymechanic

"drivewaymechanic" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Does this car have ABS? If so... you had best just not mess with it if it's the same system used on the 89 Supercoupes.

If it doesnt have ABS, I dont think you should mess with it either, considering your post wording.

Suggestion

TCCOA.com

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I believe all of the TCs had ABS. The problem is most likely the accumulator. It's the black "ball" near the master cylinder. It's a dealer part and it's not cheap, ~$250 I think. There's no shortcut to avoid replacing it. Used ones can be found on Ebay but there's no telling HOW used they are or how long they will last. At 15 years the pressure switch and pump relay should also be replaced. The switch seems to fail about the same time as the accumulator. This causes the pump to run too much and eventually burns up the relay. Correction,The accumulator was a dealer only part for a long time. I've never heard of them in the aftermarket but, it certainly can't hurt to check a real parts store like NAPA.

Reply to
Tom Adkins