Bearing or Brake Problem Revisited

Hi,

Me again... Primera 94, 2.0, Rear Disc Brakes etc... noise coming from the back when driving just over 30 mph, not dissimilar in noise to an overhead light aircraft...

I took it off to National Tyres who advised two possible causes:

Bearings Tyres

I asked whether the brakes could be at fault, since there was a sticky spot, followed by free play when spinning the wheel, and when spinning the disc there is a noise sounding like metal touching metal, or brake pad lightly touching disc.

He ruled that out based on some mumbo jumbo that everthing looks fine, and he doesn't have any problems when spinning the wheels, but could hear the problem when driving stating unequivocally it's one of the above.

I got him to hange the tyres because frankly, even to me, they looked out of round, there's several punctures, and I continually lose pressure, I mean two weeks later after blowing them up, they're down to

16psi.

Noise was still there.

Noise has got progressively worse. But there's still no play in the wheels.

But this is the situation. When turning left over 40 mph, the noise is there, louder than when travelling 40 mph in a straight line.

When turning right, the noise disappears.

Given all that, and the thought that there's no judder in the brake pedal (I know when my rover discs warped, I could feel it through the brake pedal), Im inclined to believe it's the bearings. But just after some elusive second opinions if possible. Such as, whether the guy was right to rule out brakes.

Im not too excited about the idea of removing the brakes to see if the noise is there when I spin the hub. I know this has been suggested, but as they're only two months into any warranty, I'd rather leave those along if I can help it.

Cheers Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Sounds awefully like wheel bearings

Reply to
Stuart Gray

I like consistency! Thanks... for that... more confident in ordering that bearing now...

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Many used to buy secondhand legs complete for things like Maestros as the bearings needed pro equipment to change.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Did they? I recall changing one on my parents when I did my C&G course using nothing more than a workbench,vice and sockets.

Reply to
Conor

That would have been the earlier two individual bearing design. Later replacements were one piece - and although not much longer lasting, required an extremely large press to remove.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

LOL, you have to love BL for consistency.

Reply to
Conor