1988 Full Size Bronco Ignition Question

Hey Gang, I'm having a problem with the ignition on my truck. I know what the problem is, but I don't know what the part is called. I'm hoping someone here can give me a little help figuring it out.

OK, here we go...

When you turn the key, the cylinder unlocks and gears inside of the housing move. The gears are connected to a hunk of metal with teeth on the bottom. It is shaped kind of like a reversed "7" when you look at it from the front. This piece has a small loop at the end of it, that loop is connected to a rod. The rod has a small knob that the toothed mechanism attaches to, when the key turns forward the loop presses on the knob and moves the rod forward and backwards. When it it pushed all the way forward, it starts the motor, when it is pulled all the way back, the engine turns off. Still with me?

The rod (the one that presses on the switch that starts the motor) is held in place by an aluminum bar. That aluminum bar has broken. Now when you turn the key, the rod moves left to right, rather than in and out, therefore it doesn't depress on the switch and the motor doesn't start.

In order to get around this, I have removed the lock cylinder and the plastic shroud that covers the steering column, allowing me manual access to the rod. I can start/kill the truck with the remote start or a pair of needlenose pliers. I am absolutely certain that with my luck I am going to get pulled over and be accused of having stolen the truck. I need to get that 'knob' replaced so the rod moves in the proper direction. I also need the cylinder put back in. I have done it in the past but it was a pain in the ass.

Does anyone know what the name of the knob is? Does anyone have a clue what this is going to run me??

Thanks!!

Reply to
lorenbachman

My partsmonger is used to me... all I ask for is the "chicken bone". I hope the original poster realizes that this can be frustrating to install correctly - even for seasoned vets...

Reply to
Jim Warman