1989 Taurus - Water getting in to trunk

Hello,

I'm trying to fix a problem with the trunk on my 1989 Taurus GL. My first attempt was to replace what appeared to be a worn out trunk lid gasket. Since I had no success with that I brought the car to my mechanic and he told me that the rear window / gasket was the problem.

When I brought the car to the glass shop the guy gave it a quick visual inspection and emphatically stated that the window was fine and that the leak was coming from the body seams around the edge of the trunk. He maintained that they weren't factory seams and that's why they failed. I know for a fact that this vehicle's body was never damaged or repaired. If I believe what the glass guy says, then that means that the dealer pulled a fast one, but that's highly unlikely. In any event, it's not going to solve the problem.

My next thought is to try a body shop as a last resort. Everybody seems to be pointing fingers elsewhere. So, are these vehicles known for this specific type of problem? Has anyone else in the group had a similar experience? If so, what was the fix? Thanks in advance to anyone who posts a reply here.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

Hello,

If you bought it new it is probably all original, if not it may have been repaired. The guy at the glass shop probably knows what to look for and is right.

At any rate, have somebody with a flashlight crawl in the trunk and turn the garden hose on the back window and the leak should be easy to find.

If you are unable to do this, it would be a body shop job.

Reply to
Scott

Thanks in advance to anyone who posts a reply here.

Another place to inspect is the area above the doors that channels water away from falling across the windows.

After many moons a hole can rust into this channel and leak water into the trunk.

Also, over time, the trunk channel can lose its water tight seal at the top corners of the seams.

dave

Reply to
heyyall