1990 Mustang GT air and turn signals stopped working

I have a 1990 Mustang GT and I recently took it in to have the heater core replaced (worst labor rip off ever, 9 hours) and when I got my car back, all of a sudden the turn signals and the fan/air conditioning has stopped working. At first I though, oh they just blew a fuse and iddn't replace it so I got out my fuse kit and after replacing ALL the fuses, nothing has helped. I am at a loss here and I hate to take it back to the shop because I know they will just tell me that it was nothing that they did and then try to charge me an arm and a leg to find out what it is. If anybody has ANY idea what could be causing this it would be much appreciated, it worked just fine before. Thanks.

Reply to
AZjeweler

"worst labor ripoff" is referring to the design of the Mustang, which requires the dashboard to be removed to get at the heater core.

A shop that I trust did my 96. It was enough labor hours that I've forgotten how many now. I don't think it was 9, but it was a lot more than the half hour an Oldsmobile took.

They may have pinched a wire in bolting things back together.

You said you "replaced" all of the fuses. Why? Were any of them blown?

Reply to
dold

i think they went this 9 hour labor design on at least every 90's ford, my taurus had it, think my windstar is the same, dread the day i might ever have to replace the heater core.

Reply to
petebert

Reply to
AZjeweler

Here's a thought: if the shop that did the work is a reputable shop and you believe the mechanics there to be honest, why don't you call them up and politely explain what happened? Seriously, I mean, sure you could drive back over there with an attitude, tell them that while they fixed one thing, they screwed up two others, and they would probably tell you to take a hike. What does that solve, nothing. You'll only end up trying to fix it yourself or having to take it to another shop that WILL charge you for it. But knowing that they just worked on the car, you could go in and ask them if there is a possibility they may have forgot to connect something, they may pop open the hood and say "Oh look at that, we forgot to connect such and such ...", get it working for you and off you go, probably free of charge.

BTW, because they had the dash apart, it honestly seems like a harness or even the main wire harness that goes to the fuse panel or firewall, may have gotten jarred loose, just enough to make those certain electrical parts stop functioning.

Just a suggestion Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

Sharky,

Yeah I actually called them the next day and was VERY polite about it and explained the problems I was having and the mechainc proceeded to tell me that it may or may not be something they did and I would just have to bring it back. The thing that worries me is that they take my car back in and then call me and say "yeah it was something else so we haveto charge you for it" after I just spent $800 on my heater core. Everything was working FINE before i brought it in so I would hope it was something they did and that they can fix it. Thanks for all the advice.

Sharky wrote:

Reply to
SAZJewelryDesigns

We changed out the heater core on a 1994 eagle vision and I know for a fact that the dash ground that attaches from the back of the stereo to a metal frame under the dash did not reattached. Since this occured, I have had weird things occuring...like when I turn on the heater, my turn signals stop working, if I pop the trunk with the button in the glove compartment, the radio dash fuse blows..and so on. Is it because the ground is not attached or could there be a pinched wire somewhere when we put the dash back in? Thanks for your help.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Jenn