1990 Taurus -No Gears?

When I put my Taurus in Park I hear a whining sound. When I cycle through the gears: RNDD1D2 nothing happens- it will not move at all. Is there anything a backyard mechanic can do, or should I just abandon it?

Thanks,

Nino Nospam

Reply to
Nino NoSpam

Assume you checked fluid

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

You can't just abandon it in most locals without risking a ticket for littering. You will need to call a wrecking yard and have them pick it up. Don't expect anything for it either.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Don't expect anything? Its worth 50 to 100 bucks. Either to the u pull yards or the car scavengers. Look in your small adds newspaper for "buying cars and buying junk" and let your fingers do the dialing.

It would probably cost you 2K to get it rebuilt.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Where I live you get $50 if you can get it there or $0 if they have to tow it. I wish there was a U-pull yard around.

Reply to
Al Bundy

The u pull yards around here have then own tow trucks and will come get them. There is a cottage industry here of private guys with tow trucks that advertise in small media add type news papers. They buy non running cars, and either fix them to resell, or take vital salable parts off then haul the rest to the crusher. Newer salvage yards wont take much earlier than 95 or so. The crusher places just buy by the ton for metal value only. The crushers usually don't have tow trucks. That's were the scavengers come into the picture.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Well, there you go Bob. The poster's car is 16 years old. I never have anything under 10 years old that I would scrap myself. You are just living too high off the hog. I hope the poster lives near you because it's a shame to see any good parts go to waste. He can't part it out unless he has a way to dispose of the hulk. Your scavengers pick of the slack there. Liability and theft issues have caused the yards here to tighten up the freelance picking.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Nino, From what you are describing it sounds as if your ATF filter is clogged and needs to be replaced. I have never replaced one on a transaxle so I cannot tell you how to go about it. With proper tools and a manual you could probably do the work yourself. Dan Edwards

Reply to
Dan Edwards

Uhhmm...If there is enough debris in the pan to clog the filter, there are serious problems with the trans. When was the last time you actually had a fluid and filter change help a vehicle with no engagement. The last transmissions with enough clutch\band material for this to be possible were the THM400 and occasionally the C-4.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Had the tranny been kept up through the years I would say change the filter and fuild, sounds like hard failure to me also. If I had nothing to do with money I would try the filter and oil change. I would look at the "manual" shift linkage as a possible problem. Electronic. Sounds bad and don't take one from a Junk yard...

Gerald

Reply to
gerald2003r

Can you say forward clutch piston? Common on early taurus.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Good idea Bob!