GM Canister Oil Filters?

I recently bought a 2005 GM vehicle (Sunfire) and now realize it uses a canister oil filter. Can someone explain to me why GM uses this type of filter. Also, is it easy to service by a backyard mechanic like me? Any precautions when changing the filter/oil? Any special tools required? Please reply to the group, not the email.

Thanks,

Nino NoSpam

Reply to
Nino NoSpam

Um, you need to bring it to an oil change place unless you want to fight with GM over warranty issues, until it's no longer under warranty. Watch how the guy does the change.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

A. An "oil change place" is not the best guide to how things should be done. B. GM does not deny warranty because you change your own filter. C. Buy a manual if you are going to work on your vehicle.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Trade your GM in on a Subaru Forrester.

I have a 7 year old Subie that is a breeze to change the oil filter on. (right up in front easy 2 reach and a Fram aftermarket unit costs just $3.75 at WalMart) Best of all my Subie has never been in the shop/dealer service center ONCE for any major repairs. (well...if you count new plugs installed at 50K miles and routine change of the timing belt, then it's been there once and they gave me 40% discount on P&L with a coupon!)

By comparison, my Caddy STS needed a head gasket replacement at 41K and a new radiator 60K. Traded it at 61K for my Subaru as I had enuf of GM made crap.

Reply to
Harrvey

Harrvey wrote: > Trade your GM in on a Subaru Forrester.

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha! Good one Harrrrrrvey! You traded an early model STS in on a Subaru! Ya right!!! Talk about indecision. Do I want an STS or a "Subie"? Yep, they're in the same class!! I'll bet that you're gender confused too! You almost had me believing you! Ha, Ha, Ha! Oh stop - my sides are hurting!!!

Ha, Ha, Ha! There you go again Harrrrrvey! Oh stop - I'm laughing so hard! You prefer your "Subie" over the STS because your "Subie" needed new plugs at 50K miles! Oh stop - you're killing me! Ha, Ha, Ha! And they gave you a discount on P&L!!! I'll bet it was a bigger discount when you came in for your next set of plugs! Ha, Ha, hee, Hee!

Oh man, I can't stop laughing Harrrrrrvey! You're too funny for one man. It's good to hear that you're now driving an econobox that you can afford to maintain. There's a good lesson here for all of us. Don't buy a car you can't afford to maintain!!!

Reply to
Grayfox

I'm not sure what the reasoning is by GM for using the canister style filters, but it's essentially the same filter anyway. It does exactly the same job. The Ecotec engine that you have is actually really simple when it comes to changing the oil filter. You can see the oil filter cap right under the intake manifold. You use a 1.25 inch

12 pt socket, preferably chrome as they are thinner. You can use the socket to loosen it, then remove the socket and spin the cap off by hand. The filter plugs into the cap, so it comes out with the cap. If you let the engine sit for a bit, no oil will spill out, other then what is in the filter element and cap. You just pull the element off the cap, snap on a new one (which comes with the necessary o-rings, and screw the cap and filter element back in to the cannister. You don't have to torque the living daylights out of the cap, just snug is fine.

Very simple really, and quite DIY'er friendly.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

i believe the Mercedes and bmw use canister filter for years. bmw motorcycles use canister filter, this i know personally.

Reply to
J Oat

Hello Ian,

Is the filter underneath the vehicle or can you see it when you lift up the hood?

Nino

Reply to
Nino NoSpam

It's under the hood.

Here is a picture of it with the socket and extension that I usually use on it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks Ian,

Your earlier comments and the picture were extremely helpful! You are a life-saver!

Have a superb day!

Reply to
Nino NoSpam

I had cannister filters on my old BMW 325is. They were a joy to replace - never spilled a drop of oil. (Unlike my current Impala and Colorado, which require major wipedowns after filter changes.)

-= Larry A.

Reply to
Larry A.

Larry ,

What year Impala? Do you have a 3800 in the Impala? If its like the

3800 in my Buick the Oil Filter is in clear as far as spilling oil over anything.

Unlike my Bonneville where the filter is above the frame rail. A simple plastic deflector made from an old Prestone bottle solved that problem.

Good Luck.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,555 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

This fad started in Europe where the theory is that by only replacing the element and not the outer can one is being more environmentally friendly. GM uses the same basic 4 cylinder motor in both the US and Europe, which explains the element only type filter. Seems like a real blast-from-the-past idea.

No big deal to change.

John

Reply to
John Horner