1992 E-350 Transmission

I have a 1992 E-350 with 5.8L engine and the 4 spd (OD) XMSN. It is doing 2 things I don't like:

1) minor... when cruising on the Hwy in OD with lock-up, when I slowly push the gas (say on a hill), the unit un-locks and shifts into 3rd at the same time. Other cars I have just un-lock, unless I contintue pushing the gas harder, then they downshif. What is normal for this car?

2) MAJOR... When hot, the XMSN will start shifting REALLY HARD 1-2 and

2-3. If I am going along 45-60, and pull the lever to 1, and go to a complete stop, put it back into D, that will fix it until I turn the engine off. A XMSN guy looked at the code and said it was "60" and that means a slipping torque converter, which the control module senses, then jacks up the line pressure to compensate. He plans to put on a new converter, and possibly re-build the XMSN. Is this a reasonable diagnosis?

David

Reply to
David N. Makinson

You should have the E4OD trans in that unit. The code 60 is excess slippage. I don't know who you had check it out but, the E4OD trans needs someone wh understands it quite well in order to get it right. If it has never been rebuilt which is doubtful or has not been rebuilt since about 1997, it will need several updates some of which are mandatory just to get parts. Once it is properly updated, it is a good trans. One thing that should be done while it is down that is not part of a Ford recommended rebuild is a shift improvement kit which raises line pressures a bit and quickens the transitions or shifts. I have used the Transgo and Superior kits with good success. There are others by Level 10, B&M, Baumann Bros and others. Make sure your rebuilder understands you want this up front. They are not difficult to install but do require a bit of extra work. They cannot be installed in the E4OD after it is reinstalled. BTW, this is a fairly expensive trans to build. Count on $12-1500 by an independent rebuilder or $2500 plus at a Ford dealer to get it done right. There are some decent rebuilt exchange units out there but, you can't be sure it is properly updated to the latest specs.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

The gentleman seems to be familiar with the unit and did mention that later models had improvements, and asked if it had been previously rebuilt (I am sure it has not). This has 130K miles on it.

Are the referred updates (1997 +) partially paid for by Ford?

He did quote me $1500 max for a full re-build. David

Reply to
David N. Makinson