96 Aspire hot weather phantom

In hot weather only and only when I've been driving errands at city speed, eventually car won't start. It can be jump started & doesn't need a charge, or I can cool radiator and car will start, tho temp never registers over midline on guage. Using accessories, lights & AC esp., aggravates the problem. This only happens when air is over 90 degrees.

This isn't a battery, alternator, generator or starter problem. Last year someone suggested a cheap part, I think "temperature core (coil?) sensor". I can't locate this young man, who is the first person who's ever heard of this problem (his father's GM product, Cadillac I think). I need to know for sure the name of the part before I go back to dealership. (They've been quite honest in "We've never seen anything like this") It's hot, and after 3 years of this, I'd like to use my AC again.

Reply to
exhausted

Let me understand this... the car cranks... but won't start... or it won't even crank?

Telstar Electronics

It won't even crank.

Reply to
exhausted

Depending on whether or not the car is automatic or manual transmission... I would investigate neutral start switch (auto) or start interlock switch on clutch pedal (manual).

Telstar Electronics

It's an automatic. The reason I asked about the temperature core sensor was because the young man whose father had a similar problem with his car spent a fortune replacing various parts that his dealership kept suggesting.

I assume this start switch is not part of starter I replaced last year (to no avail). Is start switch so affected by heat that it works in the evenings and all winter, but not in 90+ days?

Reply to
exhausted

You're correct... the neutral start switch is not part of the starter. It's most often located on the transmission. It's a switch that doesn't allow the vehicle to crank when it's in a gear other than neutral or park. If the switch is faulty... or mis-adjusted... can cause the vehicle not to start.

Telstar Electronics