1994 Ford Escort 1.9L Engine (Automatic)

My 1994 Ford Escort has about 118,000 miles on it. I would say it runs rather well. But little did I know that the car was totally reconstructed until I received the title. I put a full tune up on the car then after the fact I went and got a fuel system tune up done. Every since I got that done whenever I try to accelerate up a hill or from stopping at a stop light/sign it seems the engine misfires and bucks. Then every so often It won't give me any problems until I put in gas or get an oil change. Then once the car is used to the oil change and the gas it runs fine. An auto mechanic place was going to charge me $100 for a computer test to see the issue. I was told from someone else that It could most likely be the wires and spark plugs not being used to the fuel that is spitting out. When I did my tune up I never changed the wires becaused they looked "OK" to me. Can anyone elaborate on this and figure out what the problem may be? I don't mind spending money if I have to, but I don't want to spend foolishly!!! Appreciate anyone's help!!!

Reply to
ThaFutureBright

Check the basics, fuel delivery, air metering, spark. With all the work you've had done you've introduced quite a few variables, but seems to me all would be related to basic stuff, IMO, like fuel/air filters, plug wires, wearable ignition parts. Now is the time to fix this problem whatever it is before it starts taking out any sensors or other expensive parts.

You can drive to an autozone and get your car's computer scanned for free. If there are any codes post them here and someone will be sur eto look into their crystal ball for you.

Reply to
sleepdog

You can do your own computer test by using a jumper wire and looking at the check engine light flashing. Look up EEC-IV test.

Reply to
scott_z500

An analog voltmeter is good as well, count the sweeps of the needle instead.

Reply to
sleepdog

An analog voltmeter is good as well, count the sweeps of the needle instead. Personally I would recommend one of those $20 units you can get at Sears with the beeps and flashing light.

Reply to
sleepdog

Thank you... Now another issue that hasn't seem to damage the car since I have been driving it and it's not getting better or worse either. But whenever the car goes from 1st gear to 2nd gear it seems like rather than shifting it's jumping to the 2nd gear... it doesn't do it in other gears just from 1st to 2nd. i have enough transmission fluid in so i know that's not the problem and when i bought the car the guy put in a new transmission. Now it wont do when the car is cool but after a while once the car warms up a bit is when it happens. No one can seem to figure out the issue. Can anyone help with this? and i will keep everyone posted on the other issue. i think its my spark plugs and wires so i may try and redo them again.

Reply to
ThaFutureBright