1994 Sable

220 000 km, 3.8 engine, runs OK. Recently starting became hard when car is left hot in hot weather. It happened a couple of times, the fuel pump starts when the key is turned but won't fire right away when cranked. Today I cranked it maybe 5-times, then checked the fuel at the check fitting, fuel was under pressure, and then the engine started. I think it is fuel-related as it happens during hot weather. What could it be?

Thanks,

Stan

Reply to
stig

Next time see if it starts right up when the pedal is floored while cranking.. if it does, check the fuel pressure regulator.

You may ALSO have one or more leaky injectors.. but likely, given no other problem, either the FPR or the BAP sensor

stig opined in news:Kau1d.381$ snipped-for-privacy@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

i had a problem with my 93 taurus it was the relay (under the plastic cover over the radiator) think its called the CCR constant control relay????? the relay for the fuel pump, the relay for the a/c compressor, and other stuff is located in this box..... i got a new one from NAPA(national auto parts association).. for about $55.00.. it listed for about $100 there and i think the dealer wanted about $150 or more for the part... try tapping on the black metal case when it happens and see if it starts right up???? on mine it would work sometimes and not at others so it was hard to find the problem....i would find that when my car would not start that if i lifted the hood i was checking the electrical(coil wire) that i would be putting my hand on the top of the CCR box and this was like hitting it and it would work fine......i then kept tapping it with a screw drive and found that it would also not make contact by tapping it ...found this out with a fuel pump gauge on it and there was no pressure at times..... how about changing the fuel filter???? it its dirty that would stop the fuel flow... hope this helps.

stig wrote:

Reply to
abc