87 camry won't start sometimes, without a push

Hi, I have a 1987 camry,2.0 5 speed stick shift (thank goodnes) 229,xxx miles runs great most of the time. but when it sits for more than a day it is a bear to start. today i went out to start it (i just returned from a 5 day trip, we didn't take the toyota) it will turn over but will not start. it does run a little after you stop trying to start it (more like dieseling than running) then a puff of smoke out the air cleaner. i even gave it a squirt of starting fluid. ran/dieseled longer but won't start. so i had my girlfriend give me a push with my van and poped the clutch after a little sputtering it fired right up.I drove it around a little, then i pulled back in the driveway, shut it off, then tried to start it again. it fired right up!

I have changed the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. This car has been doing this for a long time, but if it is driven daily there is hardly ever a problem. any one have any ideas?

thanks for looking Chuck

Reply to
chuck_donahue

Did you check the timing with a timing light. Is it getting spark when it tries.

Reply to
m Ransley

I checked for spark, yes it had a good spark on all 4 spark plugs. I didn't check with a timing light (I don't have one) but I would think if it runs good "most" of the time i shouldn't be out of time, would it?

thanks for the reply Chuck

Reply to
chuck_donahue

Timing affects milage power and starting. If it isnt electric its fuel related, I cant say if its timimg but old belts stretch.

Reply to
m Ransley

well after I got it started with a push from my van, it runs GREAT. starts right up, without a push! I have driven ot about 60 miles and started it about 20 times since i push started it.I don't understand it! It is hard to fix somthing that isn't broke. I tried everything, I had spark, I had gas, I even gave it some starting fluid. But now it runs like a new car, but if I let it sit for more than a day I am back to fighting with it.

Reply to
chuck_donahue

Check the inside of the cap for moisture.

Reply to
tomcas

If it gets spark then its fuel related

Reply to
m Ransley

Not necessarily. It is possible to get a nice hot spark but have it be to the wrong plug when there is cross firing going on inside a tracked cap. I have seen this happen many times over the years. I know it doesn't make sense that it would fire up when push started but then again neither does a fuel problem. It's the sputtering, dieseling, puff of smoke description description combined with the lack of starting with starting fluid that leads me to think it's ignition and not fuel related. I curious to hear your reasoning as to why you think it's fuel related other than it gets a spark so it must be fuel, and as to why it starts when pushed.

Reply to
tomcas

Im just guessing . Maybe you are right maybe spark voltage is higher on pushing since no starter load is draining it.

Reply to
m Ransley

I'm just guessing as well. If it is moisture (or a tracking crack) in the cap it should be easy enough see. Does the part about trouble starting after the car sits for a few days fit with the moisture in the cap ?

Reply to
tomcas

The coil is under the cap so moisture gets on the coil and forms a conductive film when damp, its a common issue with 89-91 4 cil. Oil leaks past the worn o ring gasket coating the coil, cleaning helps. often mechanics leave the cap loose, easy to do, 2 mechanics did that on me and it let in moisture. Toy says to replace Cap gasket when replacing cap, unfortunatly its a Toy part apx 10$ and not included in aftermarket. Cleaning with alcohol and electronics cleaner spray works as this issue is real common . It is dangerous to have a car die warming up when pulling out in traffic, it happened to me for many years and waisted alot of money on new caps. Simply cleaning fixed it for 1 year so far. Alot of people waste alot of money trying to fix this issue, when a clean rag and alcohol [ even boose] would fix it. the only problem is getting behind the coil , its impossible, and to remove coil the distributor must come out, but I got lucky and cleaned it OK.

Reply to
m Ransley