1994 Taurus Gas Guage Accuracy

I just bought a 94 Taurus LX sedan w/ 3.8L AOD and has 99k miles. When I bought it, the gas gauge was near empty, so I topped it off. It only took

10 gallons. I don't know how big the tank is, but that's not the biggest question I have. The car right not gets around 21 mpg. The first half of the tank is gone in about 100 miles. So, I guess my questions are: 1. How big is my tank? 2. Does it sound like my gas gauge is accurate?

Thanks. Jared

Reply to
Jared Patterson

It was at empty, you added 10 gal. and you get 21 mpg. 10 x 21 = 210, so after about 100 mi, you should be near 1/2 full, so it is accurate.

When the gauge reads empty, there is about 4 to 6 gal. reserve in the the tank.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
Jared Patterson

You probably have a 16 gallon tank.

Reply to
Eric Toline

Thats the craziest thing I ever heard... A taurus has a tank bigger than 10 gallons. My 93 Taurus SHO has a 16 gallon tank. Usually the ford gas gauge reads slow to half then faster as it empties. I've never had a Ford that did not get less on the last half then it did on the first.

Oh, reserve? Normally 2 gallons if your lucky. I could be wrong, but that's been my experience so far. How do I know this? On a dry tank, my 16 gallon tank will take 17 almost 18 gallons, but with the electric fuel pump you don't want to run the car dry of gas, could burn up the pump.

Oh, and Jeff, he said it read empty, not that it was empty, older cars have a tendency for the gas gauge not to read correctly.

"> > I just bought a 94 Taurus LX sedan w/ 3.8L AOD and has 99k miles. When I

Reply to
Panther

Does it sound like I need to replace the sending unit or something? I tried to be brave and let it ride on E for awhile, but I gassed it up and it took about 11 1/2 gals that time. My primary fear is that someday, the thing is just going to stop working and I'll have no idea how much fuel is left. I don't want to wait until the last minute to fix something if it's possible.

Reply to
Jared Patterson

I'd just keep filling it up at about "half" full as it's healthier for the car and you. Plus I'd use my trip odometer...if you have one. Save your money until you see it failing. Personally I mean I would... Linda

Reply to
HbgpodLW

Yes it does sound like a problem with the sending unit, however take a look at what it takes to replace one. I fill up by the miles I drive, not where the needle is on the tank. I know that even with my worse gas mileage I can get 200 miles from a tank. So I fill up after 200 miles. That brings up a question, how many miles go by before you fill up? What mileage are you getting? Do you have the book that came with the car?

Reply to
Panther