1994 Taurus sho steering problems

When i turn the car to the left around a corner the steering wants to stick and stay to the left and you must like muscle it back. Its a pretty weired thing and i was told it might be rack and pinion. Just looking for some idea's of what might be causeing this???

Reply to
brokenfoundation81

It may be the rack but, it may also be something like the upper strut bearings seized.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

And/or a broken spring.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

The rack is most likely the problem. Remove the low pressure return line from the pump and place it firmly into a jug. Have somebody turn the wheel lock to lock, while you flush power steering fluid through until it runs clean. About two quarts will do the job, but if that does not work replace the rack, WBMA.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

OK i will give this a go and see if it helps but it does kinda seem like something pops a bit when you take off and you feel it in the steering wheel. I will flush the fluid and refill and see if that helps though. Is changing the rack or rack and pinion a big job and will i need help or is it possible to accomplish on my own?

Reply to
Broken81

My non SHO '94 bull had electronic variable ratio steering. Wires going into the rack will confirm if you have it. When the VSS started to go it affected the steering. The "boost" in the steering would come and go at low speeds like going around corners. Vehicle Speed Sensor is a common failure and a stocked part for these year 'bulls

Reply to
Repairman