1996 Taurus SHO - Play in Steering

HI Guys:

I bought a '96 Taurus SHO a few months ago and have noticed a bit of play in the steering. The play is there anywhere throughout the rotation. I had the tie rods and other front end parts checked and everything is good.

The play looks to be in the rack unit. Can these things be adjusted like the old reciprocating ball units or does the rack have to be replaced?

Is the rack SHO specific, or will another unit from a '96 work?

Thanks,

Tedd

Reply to
<tjd

did you check the column? Specifically the rag joint? That might be enough to make you happy without replacing the rack. Inner tie rods love to wear out on those too, hopefully they checked them. But from your description it sounds like somewhere from the steering wheel to, and including, the rack.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

While you go about researching your options, keep in mind that SHO's have Variable Assist Power Steering.

Here are a few links for you concerning SHO's and some steering and suspension stuff...

351CJ