1995 Contour

Really crazy things are happening. Sometimes when the air is on it runs hot, I never let the temp gage get into the red, I can turn the air off and within 5 minutes it is normal temp again. This only happens "sometimes". We have changed the water pump, belts, thermostat, flushed the radiator.

Then, last Monday it started running hot, I turned off the air and when I stopped at a stop sign and went to take off it went crazy, odometer bounced around, radio started scaning for stations and windshield wipers came on. I could not get it to go over 10 MPH and it finally died. Tried to start and she was dead no clicking ...nothing.

We had it towed to a shop, they kept it all week, put it on the scann/scope thing and there was nothing showing except a vacuum line messed up which they fixed. They let it run and drove it and could not get it to do anything wrong.

I get it back on Friday afternoon, Saturday it was great, nice cold air, no running hot, nothing. Today I drive it less than 10 miles it gets hot again and before I could get it home the crazyness started all over just like before.

It is a 1995 v6 Contour, any ideas we are at a loss.

Reply to
sharon29

How old is the battery? How are the cables? How many miles on the alternator?

Silly Wild-A** Guess, the battery or the main battery cable circuit has an intermittent open. And a wonky alternator would not help.

If the car has an electric fan, the fan stopping is the first sign and it gets hot, you turn off the air conditioning (reducing the power loads) and either the alternator keeps up with the loads and it cools off, or it doesn't and dies...

Might not be it, but eliminate that one first. The wipers, instrument cluster and radio oddities (all electrical items) are what makes me think this.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman