1995 Ford Ranger - When Hot it Will Not Start

Lately when my Ranger gets hot and you shut it down it will not start again without waiting for a period of time. Sometimes 20 minutes and sometimes several hours. It happened once last summer, and I brought it to a garage and he could not figure it out either, so I am hoping to get some ideas from the group. It has happened twice in the last three days.

The only things I can think of are the fuel pump fuse (which is mounted on the fender), the fuel pump itself (which to me really does not make sense since the problem seems to be heat assoc.), so I ruled that out.

One thing I just thought of, could it be the oxygen sensor?

Thanks in advance for your help

ChrisW

Reply to
ChrisW

ChrisW opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net:

Will it start - hot- when you floor it?

If so, you may have leaky injector(s)... and has your mileage changed? If you smell slight sulfur from your exhaust occasionally, it may be the Engine Coolant Temo sensor

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I had an 83 that would stop randomly while driving ... it was an ignition control module and cost me about $30 and 15 min of screwdriver work to replace.

Another thought might be what happend to our Civic ... in the morning it would start fine, in the afternoon it would "crank" but not start ... after sitting in the sun all day. Took it to the mechanic and he diagnosed an electrical component that would be hot in the sun and not allow the connection to take place that would get the crank to the engine. $70 bucks for the part, $30 for labor.

Good luck

~BJ (soon to be girlfoot)

Reply to
beta_jester

No it will not. That is what I tried today just to see.

ChrisW

Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Reply to
ChrisW

What is the ECM? (I am lousy with initials)

ChrisW

Thomas Moats wrote:

Reply to
ChrisW

Does the engine turn over and not start, or does the engine not turn over at all.

Joel

Reply to
Joel

Reply to
Thomas Moats

I had that problem on my 91 Ranger. 3.0ltr V6. It ended up being my coil. It would get hot and not work after I truned the truck off sometimes.

Could be the same thing on yours.

Joel

Reply to
Joel

Thanks everyone. I believe it is either the coil or ignition module. I am going to see if Auto Zone still does computer checks for free and go from there.

ChrisW

ChrisW wrote:

Reply to
ChrisW

ChrisW opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net:

If it's the ign module, (which it may be) does it HAVE "one" -Distributor, I mean- it prolly wont show in code... same with coil (which it prolly isnt).

no. car will start just fine with bad or missing O2 sensor.

An idea - not that i've had it happen.. could be the MAP (BAP) sensor. It's all electronic thus susceptible to heat related repeated failure.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
Thomas Moats

So do you just disconnect fuel line like on a regular carb.?

ChrisW

Thomas Moats wrote:

Reply to
ChrisW