1998 f-150 engine replacement

I am wanting to know if anyone has replaced a engine in a 1998 f-150

4.6L W.

If so what was the easiest way to remove the engine.

Reply to
dunks

Pretty much in the "usual" way.... intake manifold has to come off... Other than that, I can only say I have been doing this since before you were a gleam in Daddy's eye and a stain in Mommas..... I been doing this a long time....

Every time I do something for the first time, I like to devirginize myself by reading through the appropriate section of the applicable service manual.... It may list some steps that aren't absolutely necessary but it will reduce the chance of "gotchas"...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jims got most of it covered. There's obvious things like remove the hood, drain and remove radiator and associated hoses, disconnect the battery, disconnect the exhaust, remove the drive shaft, install scrap yoke or plug in tailshaft, support transmission and remove crossmember, disconnect ATF lines, unbolt engine mounts, disconnect as much of the harness you feel will interfere with removal and curse the things you missed. When you are looking it will be obvious what should stay with the truck and what can stay with the motor. I've never seen concise instructions that say "remove 9/16 x 4 bolt at black widget and wiggle fortistat clockwise to gain clearance to marimba valve (which shouldn't be removed) then follow index 2 page 140 for next step. By the way, I don't know why Chilton's suggests having the tailgate latched in the upward position and the windows rolled down, just be brave and ask questions when you must.

Happy modeming, Bill

Reply to
Bill Kitterman