1998 ford escort no spark

I have a 1998 ford escort 4 door (I beleive that is the SE option) and I think its a 2.0L engine. About a week ago the battery died and i had to replace the battery and the alternator. Then yesterday the car died while i was on my way to work, but this time it cranked but wouldn't start. When i opened the hood I noticed that the sepentine belt must have skipped a tooth and was frayed, so I assumed the problem was the belt and the crankshaft position sensor (the belt was rubbing on it). Once i replaced it, the car fired right up. Later that night though, it wouldn't start again. so, a freind came over and checkced for spark and said to try to replace the coil. once again, the car fired right up and ran fine for several minutes. Once he left I got dressed to go out, and the car won't start again. We checked for codes with his Snap-On scanner and didn't get any. Even though the problem is intermittant, it will usually not start.

Since there are no codes, I have no idea where to start.

Reply to
cwolfe3301

Do these later vintage Fords have issues with ignition modules? I know the 1990 vintage did, too hot no start if the module was defective. You'll have to work out the no spark issue from the new coil forwards. Probably somewhere within the distribution of spark from the coil to the plugs (duh) read: distributor, but I am not familiar with the ignition on your vehicle.

Reply to
sleepdog

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

As far as I can tell, the car does not have an ignition module. the coil gets its signal from the ecu (ecm, computer, etc...) I beleive the system basically is, if the crank spins, it gives spark.

Reply to
cwolfe3301

Ok, I guess no ignition module for that year. I suppose by then Ford replaced the ign. mod. PIP? signal with what you've described. But between the coil and plugs I think isn't there still some spark distribution apparatus? I'm reaching here, but unless you have a COP (coil-on-plug) ignition there are plug wires that go back from the plugs to something that distributes the spark from the coil. Is there a rotor and cap? From where I am I can't see the engine but from what you've described my mental picture is pointing me to whatever hardware you have between the coil and plug distributing the coil spark. That is where I would start. My experience is from replacing points and condensors, up to EEC-IV and COP systems (both my current vehicles). Not sure what kind of ignition system you have but I guess it's an EEC-V non-COP (I guess I am SOL in the advice area). Sorry!

Reply to
sleepdog

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in news:1155125021.189763.147890 @m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

aha, a freind found the problem, the wire to the crank sensor had a short

Reply to
cwolfe3301

Yup, I was way off!

Reply to